A business continuity planning tool for institutions of higher education
Kuali Ready is a business continuity planning tool that is specific to institutions of higher education. Its aim is to increase the institution's ability to keep operating in the face of disruptive events. Kuali Ready produces departmental continuity plans, and can be used by any type of department - instructional, research, support, administrative, collections, and clinical.
The "business" of higher education is teaching, research, and public service. In some cases (medical centers & health sciences schools) the "business" also includes patient care. For higher education, these four functions are the “business” in business continuity planning.
The Kuali Ready tool produces departmental continuity plans, and can be used by any type of department – instructional, research, support, administrative, collections (libraries, museums) and clinical.
The departmental continuity plan can be printed as a document and contains –
- Prioritized list of the department’s critical functions, with details of each
- Specific section on continuity of IT
- Specific section on continuity of instruction (if applicable)
- Lists of 10 types of key resources, with details
- Repository of key documents
- High-level recovery strategies for all functions
- Action items to achieve a better state of readiness. These action items embody the central premise of continuity planning: that the most effective way to cope with disaster is to get ready ahead of time – by putting in place NOW the information, processes & resources that we will need THEN.
The tool uses an all-hazards approach. This means that it aims to increase the organization’s readiness for all types & sizes of disaster events –
- Natural disasters (regional earthquake, fire in your offices, infectious disease epidemic, unexpected death of a key employee, etc.)
- Technological disasters (data loss, connectivity loss, equipment failure, etc.)
- Human-caused disasters (terrorism, theft, civil disturbance, cyber attack, etc.)
The Kuali Ready tool uses the accepted methodology of the business continuity planning profession. The core of Kuali Ready’s uniqueness is that it adapts this methodology (developed in the corporate sector) to the circumstances & culture of higher education.